Sunday 24 January 2016

Lego 71011 Collectible Minifigures Series 15 Review - Part 1

The collectible minifigures series 15 is available in the UK now and as I have collected every figure from every series (except for Mr. Gold in series 10) there is no way I'm not going to collect this series. There are lots of great figures in this set and lots of new elements. When a set first comes out I usually buy about 5 or so figures without feeling the bags just for a bit of fun. After that I usually feel the bags to find the figures I want and to avoid doubles. This time I got 6 as one of my local stores has a promotion if you buy 5 of these you get an extra one free. Unfortunately I got two doubles so I'm just going to review the unique figures I got.



The Winged Battle Warrior is a very cool figure. He reminds me of Brian Blessed from the Flash Gordon movie or a character from the anime Saint Seiya. He clearly loves gold so much that his entire ensemble is golden. The torso and leg pieces are made gold coloured plastic with a metallic gold print on top for the details. There is detailed printing on the side of his legs but nothing on his back. He has a gold spear, gold helmet and gold chest piece. The golden wings are attached using two golden clip pieces. His head, arms and hands are the standard yellow colour. He looks really cool and has really nice detailed printing. This is one of the figures in the set that army builders might go nuts for.






The Kendo Master is nice figure but quite simplistic compared to the Winged Warrior. The arms, torso, legs and helmet are all made in the same dark blue colour. He has black hands and the standard yellow head. A really nice feature are the wooden swords made of tan plastic. The only printing he has is on the front of his torso and barely visible printing on the front of his legs. It's quite disappoint that he has no back printing. The face print is nice, behind the mask he has a mustache, beard and a dark blue bandanna. The colours on the kendo helmet are slightly off center though. Another downside I found with the helmet is that it doesn't stay on very well, a slight knock and it pops right off. Of the four figures I have from this set so far this is my least favorite due to the lack of printing and the helmet troubles. This seems like one of the laziest figures in the set as there has been plenty of kendo related figures released in the Ninjago theme.




I quite like Jewel Thief minifigure and it's obvious the inspiration for this figure is Catwoman. It kind of feels like they're saying sorry for not releasing a Dark Knight Rises Catwoman figure and here is the closest you're going to get. This figure uses the new hair mold introduced for Black Widow in the recent avengers sets however this is the first time it has appeared in black. The front legs and torso are nicely designed prints of a cat burglar suit. However like the Kendo Master there is no back printing which seems a little lazy. The face is nicely printed with a black mask and beauty spot included. The accessories are exactly what you would expect of a jewel thief being a grapling hook and a diamond.



An Astronaut sounds like a really bland choice and I wasn't too excited about this figure but it is actually really nicely done. I really like this figure now and welcome it as a great addition to a wide variety of space exploration minifigures. Instead of the more recent space helmets they have opted to use the more traditional white biker helmet with golden visor and I have to say it really creates a nice effect. The best thing about this figure however is the very detailed printing. Not only are the front torso and leg prints very nice he also has side leg, arm printing and a really cool bearded face print. Along with the helmet he has a oxygen tank and a flag with the classic space logo.




Not the most exciting start to the collection but I do like these four figures and I look forward to collecting the rest. My favorites this time are the Winged Battle Warrior and the Astronaut. I think I'm most looking forward to getting the Tribal Woman with the baby and The Shark Suit Guy.

0 comments:

Post a Comment