Friday 15 July 2016

Penzora Custom Alfred Pennyworth Minifigure Review

In my previous post I mentioned that I try to keep an eye on the various custom Lego/minifigure websites that are out there. One such website is Penzora, who offer a wide range of custom minifigures and update their designs fairly regularly. I originally found them on eBay but then noticed they had their own website and store. I quite like that they have a lot of obscure DC super villains such as Crazy Quilt and Polka Dot Man. I have had my eye on a few of their figures but decided to go for one they had cheap to check out the quality so I grabbed a reduced Alfred (from Batman) minifig.



Alfred Pennyworth is well know as Batman's faithful butler. He has had many various incarnations over the years and on the big screen he has been played by some very prestigious actors. The two most recent movie versions being played by Michael Caine and Jeremy Irons. I'm a big fan of the version played by Sean Pertwee in the TV Series Gotham. Despite having all of these many iterations of the character he has only been represented officially in minifig form twice. In set 7783 The Batcave: The Penguin and Mr. Freeze's Invasion from 2006 and more recently in set 76052 Batman Classic TV Series - Batcave of 2016. Making him a very rare character in Lego form especially considering the price point of both the sets he has appeared in. The rarity and my fondness for the character were the main reasons why I chose to purchase this figure

This custom figure is based on the same design as the 2006 and version. The design is rather simple as was the style at the time in 2006 but it represents the character well. He is printed on 100% official Lego parts but only on the front of his torso and the front of his head. I believe the basic level of printing is the reason why this figure is so cheap compared to others available at Penzora. The torso is printed very nicely with the colours standing out very well. The legs are light grey and the torso and arms are black. They have given him dark grey hands to represent gloves though. The printing is more embossed than you see on official Lego and it has a kind of texture to it which I do not see as a bad thing but thought it was worth mentioning. The face is printed nicely however I feel on close inspection the print is not as nicely done as the torso the print representing his hair especially looks slightly faded. From a distance though you would not notice this as I have had him stood on a shelf next to Batman and he looks great.




In summary I really like the figure and I think Penzora have done a good job with it. There are a few things about it that I think could have been done better but I like it enough to try getting another figure or two from them and finding out if the quality is consistent. If you are interested in buying a figure from Penzora I would suggest keeping an eye on their twitter page as they often dish out discount codes. Finally a big thank you for giving this post a read.

0 comments:

Post a Comment