Tuesday 6 September 2016

Firestar Toys Mini Haul Review Featuring Beans

A few months ago Firestar Toys was running a promotion to get a free Baked Beans custom printed minifigure accessory. My first thought was 'Yay, free Lego, but then I wondered what the catch was. Turns out that there was a catch but it was a minor one. To get the free Beans you had to pay shipping which in the UK was about £1.50. I thought to myself that deal sounds ok but it's not quite free enough for my liking so I devised a cunning plan. If I ordered some additional items from Firestar then I would be paying the shipping for those items and still get my free beans. So here's a quick review of the small haul of items I got which of course features the main attraction itself, The Beans.



I enjoy some baked beans from time to time as a compliment to some toast or other comfort food dish but never have I thought "I love beans so much that I have to own a Lego representation of this wondrous food". However I have wondered about the print quality of Firestar Toys products and thought this free tin of beans would be a good way to check them out. I have to say I'm very impressed with the quality and the tiny tin looks adorable. The tin consists of two official Lego parts with custom printing. The main part is the label printed on a light blue cylinder piece. The label reads "BRIKZ BAKED BEANZ" in a Heinz style. The printing is nice, sharp and finely detailed. The second part of the tin a 1x1 flat round tile in light grey with the top of the tin complete with ring-pull printed on it. I think this piece may have looked better on a silver tile but the printing again is nicely done and the detail is great especially considering the size of it. I love this additional little detail and I think it really tops off (excuse the pun) this custom item.


Next with have something I enjoy more frequently than beans which is chocolate. This is specifically a Wonka Bar with the design heavily influenced by the 1971 movie Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. Firestar Toys have about 3 different designs of these Wonka Bars available. I chose the design which looked the most iconic to me, the Fudgemallow Delight. This mini bar of joy is printed on 1x2 yellow tile and is a feast for the eyes with such bright colours packed finely into such a small tile. I think Firestar really show off the quality of print they can achieve with this item, especially with the minuscule writing at the bottom of the bar.





Here we have one of my favorite items from this small haul The Brikazon Parcel. I saw this on the Firestar website and thought it looked awesome. I also thought it was kinda funny to get a parcel with a Lego parcel in it. The parcel consists of two parts printed on light brown bricks. The top piece is a 2x2 tile with a postage label and some other little details on it. I believe you can purchase the top piece separately which makes sense as you could use it on its own or with other bricks to make different sized packages. The top piece has some great little details and is easily the best part of this custom Lego parcel. The second piece is a rather simple 2x2 brick with "brickazon" printed on one side. This is obviously inspired by amazon and looks really nice but I think this piece could have been improved with some extra details as the piece on it's own looks rather plain.



Finally we have the only item from the haul which is not an official Lego piece, has no printing and is not actually produced by Firestar Toys themselves. Firestar not only make their own custom printed accessories they sell and distribute Lego products and products made by other custom Lego creators. This particular item is a broken bottle made by Brickforge. I saw this a while ago and thought it was a great quirky little minifig accessory. I guess the item can be used as a weapon or as an accessory in a diorama. The plastic is of really good quality and the mold is very nice. I think it fits in well with official lego products. The bottle fits nicely in the hands of minifigs and bricks can be attached to the little stud part on the top. This item is available in various colours but I chose transparent brown as it reminded me of a weapon in the Streets of Rage series of games on the Sega Megadrive.

I think this little haul was great and I really like each product I got. I was drawn in by the beans and I'm glad I was. I will definitely be checking out their website often to see what new and exciting products they add to their catalog next.

0 comments:

Post a Comment