Monday 14 November 2016

Lego 76060 Doctor Strange's Sanctum Sanctorum Review

This review is coming a little later than I would have liked it but unfortunately I’ve been super busy. One good thing that has come of the lateness of this review is that I’ve actually seen the movie now (twice) before writing it so I am able to judge the accuracy of the set a little better. I really enjoyed the movie and would recommend it for fans of other Marvel movies. My only complaint is that the villain was a little lacking which is perhaps why he was not included in this set.





I’m going to start with the build of this set and then move onto the minifigures afterwards. The buildable part of this set is a section of the Sanctum Sanctorum. It is basically part of a room similar to that of the Lego Ideas 21302 Big Bang Theory set. I wasn’t sure how I felt about that from the images but I must say I really enjoyed the build and I really like the look of the Sanctum Sanctorum. My favourite part is the tentacle monster that has managed to find a way into the building and gives our heroes an enemy to fight. This red tentacle monster does not appear in the movie but I still think he is a fun addition with some cool play features. Behind the beast is a system of gears to turn so you can move it’s tentacles. It can even grasp hold of a minifigure if you line them up correctly. There is a grey ramp piece leading up to the monster which has a large sticker on it with very cool magical rune style design on it.
 


 

Other play features include some transparent struts sticking through the wall which minifigures can be placed on. The struts can be controlled from the other side of the wall to give the effect the minifigure is jumping or floating. The final play feature is the strange black thing with a ball on it sticking through the wall on the left. This is actually a place for you to attach the cape of levitation and this can also be moved up and down to give a floating effect from the opposite side of the wall. I’m not a fan of this part of the set as without the cape it just looks a little strange and out of place.


The other most noticeable feature apart from the red tentacle monster is the iconic window of the Sanctum Sanctorum. I do like the way the window is made using blade pieces as the details of the window. The window does not appear exactly as it does in the comics and the movie but it is a close approximation and I’m sure if it bothered anybody terribly they could find a way to alter the build to better represent the source material’s design.
 



 
Other notable parts of the build are the furniture pieces and the interesting little bits and pieces which make the room feel like a lived in slightly messy apartment. I really enjoyed building the book cases and they are designed very well. The table is also an interesting design although a very simple one. There are a few details which make the table match the book cases nicely, the good Doctor obviously get them from the same Ikea collection. There are a few books, maps and letters dotted around the whole build, all of which add a bit of character to the set. I particularly like the letter from stark industries and the WiFi password (Shamballa) on the table. However most of these interesting pieces are stickers even though they seem like they could easily have been printed. The final piece of furniture is the treasure chest which comes in a slightly unusual colour as I am used to seeing these treasure chests in dark brown. The chest contains some keys and a red gem.
You get three minifigures with this set which I think is a great amount for the price point but I do wish there was maybe another set in the Doctor Strange theme which included Wong and perhaps Kaecilius. However the three minifigures we get are pretty good and it is the first time each of these characters have been represented in Lego form.




The first one I will look at here is The Ancient One. I like this figure and it does have a resemblance to the character however I would say out of the three this figure is the least accurate to the design in the movie. The main thing that I noticed was the markings shown on the back of the minifigures head, In the movie she has scars on the back of her head but the minifigure has a braid like pattern. Also on the front of her head she has what look like a continuation of the braid pattern or scars which also do not appear in the movie. Her costume is very similar to the one seen in the film however it is more yellow in black in the movie rather than the gold and purple seen on the figure. Despite the inaccuracies I still think the figure looks great. Her accessories are transparent fans with golden magical rune design. The detail on the fans is fantastic and is a really creative way of representing the magic in the film.
 


 
The Mordo figure looks very much like his movie counterpart with lots of great detail on the torso and the legs. He has two face prints both of which look like different levels of angry. His accessory is a rather boring staff which is a shame as he uses such an interesting staff in the movie though I image it would be difficult to pull off in minifigure scale.
 




 
Lastly we have the main hero of this set Doctor Strange himself. I really like this figure and you can instantly tell that it is indeed Doctor Strange however again I think there are a few things that are a bit inaccurate to the movie. The heir piece looks great and they've even printed the grey hair on the sides but I think it suits the comic version much more than the movie version of the character.  The face print is good with what again looks like two different levels of angry to me but again I feel it looks more like the comic version of the character. The torso print is great and very much looks like the movie version with the Eye of Agamotto draped around the Doctor’s neck. Both sides of the torso are nicely detailed with a folded cloth effect. The legs match the torso but the quality of the print on my figure looks a little off which is a shame but you can only notice it if you look closely. Hes accessories are two transparent discs once again with  a golden magical rune pattern. These magical shields look great and have lots of great details. 
 
 
In summary this is a great set with some great figures. The play features are quite fun and the details in the set make it an interesting build. Some of the minifigures have inaccuracies with their movie counterparts but they still represent the characters really well. This is a reasonably priced set and as the only Doctor Strange set available I definitely recommend it.


0 comments:

Post a Comment